Federator.ai® for NetApp Kubernetes Service
Container adoption is growing, and Kubernetes is becoming the de facto standard of container management platforms. Whether container adoption occurs on-premises, in public clouds, or both, the operational overhead is enormous. IT administrators cannot foresee computing resource demands of applications, so they must reserve more computing resources for a workload than needed. Managing computing resources and optimizing costs on multiple clouds are daunting tasks. Federator.ai, ProphetStor’s Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations (AIOps) platform, provides intelligence to orchestrate container resources on top of VMs (virtual machines) or bare metal, allowing users to operate applications without the need to manage the underlying computing resources.
Over-provisioned computing resources and the deployment of the incorrect number and/or size of VMs are two common issues in multi-cloud environments. Federator.ai addresses these problems by orchestrating resources in multi-cloud environments. As shown in Figure 1, Federator.ai optimizes costs for both Day-1 deployment and Day-2 operations. It utilizes metrics stored on Prometheus, collected by Kubernetes, to predict resource consumption dynamically and recommends the right amount of resources for pods, providing a 20 - 60% reduction of wasted resources for a typical workload. Users can stack up the predicted pod resources to determine the right number and size of VMs to deploy and enable the automatic execution of these recommendations.
With Federator.ai, users no longer need to specify the CPU and memory requests and limits for each container. It recommends optimal pod configurations. The direct effect is that the configured resources will accurately and dynamically match the workload. It also effectively reduces occurrences of under-provisioned issues, such as out-of-memory (OOM).
After Federator.ai is deployed in any Kubernetes environment, it learns application resource usage patterns and predicts the needed resources down to the container level. Federator.ai also provides a dashboard that displays the per-container recommendations. Federator.ai for NetApp Kubernetes Service has the following key features:
- Multi-layer workload prediction: Federator.ai applies multiple analytics tools, such as machine learning and signal processing, to predict containerized application and node resource usage as the basis for pod resource recommendations. Federator.ai supports both physical and virtual CPUs and memories.
- Application-aware recommendation execution: The application resource demand determines the number and size of pods. Federator.ai utilizes resource usage prediction based on workload patterns to recommend the right pod sizes.
- Multi-cloud cost optimization: Federator.ai recommends the most suitable combination of cloud providers and VM types based on a business’ cost and workload requirements. It uses a cost optimization intelligence called Cloud Arbitrage Equations to find the most cost-saving plan among the various selections of cloud providers. Cloud Arbitrage Equations is an intelligent module created by ProphetStor that implements a set of pre-defined rules for determining the optimal configuration of a multi-cloud infrastructure from hundreds of thousands of price and VM type combinations.
- Policy-driven planning of CPU and memory: Federator.ai plans cluster-wide CPU and memory allocation for different types of applications according to the policy specified by users.
- Enterprise-ready: Federator.ai is designed to work with any Kubernetes-operated environment. Federator.ai provides application lifecycle management based on the Operator Framework and works seamlessly with vanilla Kubernetes and Red Hat OpenShift.
- Easy installation: Installing Federator.ai is easy with one kubectl command. Users will get the first recommendation in one hour.
- Continuous recommendations for optimal resource planning: Federator.ai continuously generates recommendations and learns better with more accumulated metrics data.
In the figure below, it shows that a Google Chrome extension is created by ProphetStor which analyzes user configuration of NetApp Kubernetes Service. The Google Chrome extension interacts with Federator.ai Cloud Service to retrieve recommendations of cloud instance type combinations from multi-cloud providers based on the predicted container workload. The overall effect of Federator.ai is that cloud spending is reduced up to 60%.
Federator.ai aims to provide optimal resource planning recommendations that will help enterprises make better decisions. The benefits of Federator.ai include:
- Up to 60% resource savings: Federator.ai mainly serves to reduce unnecessary spending and increase application service quality for both enterprises and cloud providers. ProphetStor data scientists and engineering teams work together to build the most advanced AIOps solution to reduce resource wastage at different infrastructure layers. With the help of patented prediction technologies, Federator.ai simultaneously reduces spending and delivers the necessary performance.
- Increased operational efficiency: Federator.ai frees users from continuously monitoring Kubernetes cluster utilization and cloud spending. Users also do not need to manually record usage data, calculate optimal configurations, and change configurations based on the calculations. These tasks are routinely accomplished when using Federator.ai.
- Reduced manual configuration time with digital intelligence: Federator.ai allows users to turn on the optimization engine any time. Federator.ai will re-configure pods with the right values at the right time.